Three Americans found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb, official says
Police officials and federal agents investigate the scene where a couple were found dead from the carbon monoxide poisoning. (Luis Hidalgo/AP)
The bodies of Michael and Katherine Stump were found with no signs of life at an Airbnb apartment in Mexico City on Friday, shortly after it was booked Saturday by a Mexican couple, a senior official told the AP. The men and women had reportedly turned in their keys Saturday morning and were expected to be out for a week.
The Associated Press got its first look at the house where the dead people were found late Friday. The Mexican government had taken the home under federal protection, police said.
Police officials said the incident was being investigated by the U.S. Embassy and that Americans were not in the home when the Stumps and a Mexican couple were found dead.
The U.S. Embassy statement said the Stumps’ passports were found nearby.
Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said the foreign victims had apparently turned over their keys to police earlier Saturday, but that she did not know for what reason. The bodies were found in a garage when police officers arrived at the home in an upscale section of the city, about 25 miles southwest of Mexico City’s international airport, Sheinbaum said.
Authorities are also investigating whether the couple had been attacked before they went into the garage.
Cops said the house, in a high-end neighborhood in the Mexico City suburb of Monterrey, had been sold in late July to a Mexican couple, who had left after a week in the home.
The Associated Press found one of the apartment’s keys on a shelf inside the home, and another was found on the door itself. Authorities have not released the names of the dead people, or the names of the couple who purchased the home.
Federal police are investigating whether those killed had access to the apartment before they left Saturday and could have been victims of violence.
The men and women had allegedly rented a two-bedroom apartment in the house three nights ago. They left the place Sunday evening after turning in their keys, the couple said in