Yankees Beat Guardians in Game 5, Advancing to ALCS
What We Learned: 1. There are only two rules in this league, and Yankee fans have to keep playing to follow them.
2. No one knows exactly where this team will finish.
3. The Yankees have played worse baseball this year than in years, but their best is still ahead of them.
4. The Royals are going to win the World Series.
5. The Yankees have just two more games against a team that’s played that well this year than they did last year.
6. They are better than any other team in the AL East.
7. They win in October.
8. They will be on a lot of lists this offseason.
In Game 5 of the American League Championship Series, the Yankees beat the Kansas City Royals 3-1. The Royals have been dominating the New York area, and a 3-1 victory over the Yankees in a best-of-five series is their first big Series win after a season that has gone completely off the rails. For those keeping score at home, that’s the best of the worst from a year that had to be the worst of either the good or the bad, and it feels pretty good to say that, except for the postseason.
The Royals have won 12 straight games, which isn’t good for them by any stretch of the imagination. That’s 10 more than the Yankees and 19 more than the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox own the best record in the AL, the Yankees are the best overall, and both are in the playoffs. (Maybe it’s wrong to assume that the Red Sox have the best pitching staff in the league, because that’s not exactly the case. I mean, the Royals are just hitting a couple more homers than the Red Sox, which isn’t a thing I usually do.) Now, I know the Red Sox have the best lineup, but the Yankees do too, and they have the better roster. (Again, I say maybe wrong about their pitching staff; I don’t think the Red Sox had the best staff. They had the highest winning percentage in the league in their AL division against them